London Borough of Camden (UK)
The London Borough of Camden as we know it today was created in 1965 by the merger of three metropolitan boroughs: Hampstead, St Pancras and Holborn. It was named after the first Earl of Camden, Charles Pratt, who started the development of Camden Town in 1791.
Camden is a hugely diverse wedge of 22 square kilometres of inner London. With bustling Covent Garden at its southern border, the central area is consumed by Euston and King’s Cross, the borough spreads out to Kilburn in the west, Hampstead and Highgate in the north and Kentish Town to the east.
Camden employs approximately 6,400 full time employees (including teachers). Our employees provide Council services and work within departments. In addition, we also have partnerships with local organisations (e.g. NHS and charities) that help provide services to the local community.
The Council has three core service directorates (Culture & Environment, Housing & Adult Social Care and Children, Schools & Families) and corporate services. Corporate services include our customers, strategy and performance department; finance; organisational development and legal services.
Camden has 39 designated Conservation Areas, over 5,600 listed buildings/structures and the sixth highest level of employment of local authorities in the UK, with an estimated 304,000 jobs. Camden’s population is approximately 217,000 – around 3% of the total population of London.
For more information regarding Camden please go to www.camden.gov.uk